The College Founded in the year 1949, Dr. A. V. Baliga College of Arts and Science, Kumta, a grant-in aid co-educational college is today on the threshold of its Platinum Jubilee. It is one of the six educational institutions managed by Kanara College Society, Kumta, North Kanara. The college is named after the distinguished surgeon, educationist and the chief architect of India’s political relations with the former Soviet Union, Dr. A. V. Baliga who played the part of Providence in founding and fostering this very first institute of higher education in the North Kanara district.
The college is located in a semi-urban setting surrounded on two sides by a natural reserve forest providing a lush green ambience and has a sprawling campus area of 38 acres which it shares with the sister institutions managed by the Kanara College Society.
The college was initially affiliated to the University of Bombay. Since 1963 it is affiliated to Karnataka University. The college is recognized under section 2F and 12B of the UGC Act. The college was accredited by NAAC at B++ in the first cycle and at A in the second cycle. The lead college in the North Kanara district has, over the period of nearly seven decades of its existence, achieved its objective of providing higher education to the rural populace. Exemplary performance of the students of the college in academic and co-curricular activities and the high positions occupied by the alumni of the institution speak volumes about the genuine interest and sincere endeavors of the institute in fostering dormant talents and tapping creative and innovative spirit of students.